Our Little Blob Is Beautiful!

Friday, November 5, 2010

Today I am 8 Weeks Pregnant

So this past Monday I had to go to the high risk department at Winnie Palmer.  I was scheduled for 3 appointments starting with Genetic Counseling, then an Ultrasound with a consultation, and last my Diabetic teaching class.  Up to this point I was so nervous, why?  I have no clue.  So I get to Winnie Palmer and within 30 minutes I'm back at the Hughes Fetal Medicine office.  I meet with Stacy who is the Genetic Counselor.  Originally she wasn't sure if I should have genetic counseling since I am technically pre-diabetic and not full blow diabetic.  But the Dr. confirms the counseling and we go over different risk I have, but I knew most of everything she told me.  She was very pleased that I had started taking folic acid about 3 months prior to getting pregnant because that can greatly decrease your risk of neural tube defects like spina bifida.

After the Genetic Counseling it was time to see our little blog (as the ultrasound tech called it).  Unfortunately Pete wasn't there for this one, with all of my appointments we weren't sure what time it would be and he had already asked off Wednesday to go to that appointment because they were supposed to do an ultrasound at my Dr.'s.  Either way I get back there and we get started.  I of course have a million questions about a million and one things, mainly because I read to much online. I was concerned the tech wouldn't tell me what was going on but luckily she answered all of my questions and offered up so much more.  So she confirmed that everything was there that should be, yolc sac, fetal pole, etc...  She even showed our little blob's heartbeat, I was even more amazed when all of a sudden I could hear the heart beat, it was the greatest experience.  I couldn't help let the guilt flow though because Pete wasn't there to hear the heartbeat.  So the tech also said I was measuring only about 2 days difference on how far along I was, but I couldn't be sure just yet if my date would change since it wasn't a weeks difference.

After the ultrasound it was time for my Diabetic teaching class.  I met with Adelia who was so great.  It was nice also because everyone else cancelled so it was just her and myself so I got to ask a lot more questions.  She began with asking my numbers, which she seemed pleasantly happy with, and happy that I was in there as early as I was.  We went over my food budget and discussed what I could and shouldn't eat.  We came up with a few sample meals and I realized it isn't that bad, most of what I can have is normal foods, just perhaps at certain times I can't have certain things.  I explained about my problems with my meter and she tried to help me out with that.  After this meeting I was done and I was ready to go home.

Fast forward to Wednesday for my appointment at Dr. Kareem's office.  We get there and from the moment we are there the nurse tells us since I got an ultrasound on Monday they weren't doing one there.  I was very disappointed for Pete, however we both knew that was a possibility.  It was nice he was able to come anyway and meet the Dr.  So we went back to the room, and that's where Dr. Kareem went over what the high risk department said my plan was.

My High Risk Plan:

Hemoglobin A1C blood work once every trimester
Up to 1000 mcg extra of folic acid
12 week Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound
20-22 week Ultrasound for Spina Bifida and of the Heart
1 Ultrasound a month starting at 20 weeks
1 appointment a week starting at 28 weeks
1 non stress test every 7 days starting at 28 weeks

The Dr. informed me the purpose of the non stress test every 7 days was because I was at a higher risk (it's always a risk) for my baby to be fine one day and gone the next.  That's a pretty scary though but I think in the long run it will all be okay.  I suppose the test gets done and I'm good for the next 7 days then I go back and do that until our baby is born.

After we went over my plan they had me do blood work there in their office.  I got about 7-9 tubes drawn which was not the most eventful and fun thing of my day.  It was nice though that Pete was there for that.  So here we are to present day and I have my Nuchal Translucency scan scheduled at Winnie Palmer for December 1st.  We were going to do it with my Dr.'s office but you have to go to the Hunter's Creek location to do it and with my work schedule it would just take up to much time.  So we are scheduled for then at 8:00 in the morning.  I'm looking forward to that ultrasound as Pete will be able to go and this will be the confirming ultrasound that determines if we can go ahead and tell everyone else in our lives.

I think that's it for now.  I'm hoping to start this week posting belly pictures and also filling out my "Belly Book" and also starting to blog more frequently.  Well thanks a million to anyone who reads this, I'm really glad I am able to share this with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment